PADI Underwater Navigation Specialty Course
Apart from neutral buoyancy, underwater navigation is one of the most important skills any scuba diver should try to master as quickly as possible to become a good diver! Finding your way to the entry/exit point is reasonably easy in South Australia, but knowing where you are at all times by using your compass and your eyes (by focussing on depth, bottom contour, shadows, landmarks, etc.) is not as easy as it seems. The PADI Underwater Navigator specialty course will teach you that and more. Over the course of three dives, you will learn different techniques of navigating underwater and become more confident in finding your way underwater!
The Diving Adelaide navigation specialty course is usually bundled with the buoyancy specialty, as these two core skills lay a solid foundation to build the rest of your scuba skills on. We usually run the theory session for both specialties on Saturday morning and the buoyancy dives on Saturday and the navigation dives on Sunday. However, if you are just interested in perfecting your navigation skills and are already confident that you buoyancy doesn’t need improving, then please let us know and we can schedule the theory session for the navigation course on Sunday morning instead, so the specialty can be run as a single day course.
The PADI Underwater Navigator Specialty Course schedule is as follows:
Home study (0 – 1 hrs): If you have already completed your PADI Advanced Open Water Diver course, please re-read the Underwater Navigator section in your Adventures in Diving manual.
Saturday morning: 9:00AM – 11:00AM: Theory morning
Sunday: 9:00AM – 4:00PM: Dives 1, 2 & 3
What you need to know before you start the course:
- To participate in this course, you do not have to complete any theory, but we recommend re-reading your advanced course manual
- All equipment is included in the course (Buoyancy vest, regulators, gauges, filled cylinders, weightbelts plus weights, wetsuit, mask, snorkel and fins)
- You have to be certified as an Open Water Diver or above to participate in this course.
- This is a theory + practical course. Three dives are required.
- A minimum age of 12 years applies. Every student under the age of 18 needs to have a parent or a guardian sign a consent form (available from the dive centre).
Saturday or Sunday 9:00AM – 4:00PM: Theory + Dives 1, 2 and 3
We will have a look and discuss the theory together. We will fill out the necessary paperwork and get ready for the dives in the afternoon.
Things to bring:
- A full stomach, lunch and something to drink.
- Swimmers and a towel