If you have ever thought about going freediving but you’re not sure where to start, then come and join us for a Freediving Fun Day and get a taste of what it takes to explore the magical underwater world one just one breath!
You don’t have to have any prior experience (but do need to be able to swim) as this fun day is just your opportunity to see if freediving is for you!
You will be given an insight into the world of Freediving and get to try it yourself under the careful supervision of a professional freediving instructor.
Why choose Diving Adelaide to start your Freediving adventures?
This is a question we get asked a lot by people who want to take the plunge with us, so we decided to put a short list of the main reasons on our website. This is just the short list, if you would like the longer version, please don’t hesitate to shoot us an e-mail!
Freediving Experts: We’ve partnered with Primal Minds, the leading freediving and breath work trainer in SA, to bring you the most educational, fun and best value freediving courses in the country. Alex from Primal Minds is a dedicated freediving and spearfishing instructor with over 14 years of experience (not a scuba diving instructor who also runs freediving courses).
Individualised training: We can cover more information based on your future goals whether that be freediving, personal development, spearfishing, better mental health, mind development or bio hacking – just let us know your goals.
Fun and Passionate Dive Team: Our team is friendly, fun and always willing to help but most importantly they are well trained, professional and passionate about what they do.
Lowest Gear Prices: On most of the gear we sell we are either the cheapest in the world or the cheapest in Australia. It’s simple; we just cannot be beaten on price!
Who this Fun Day is for:
- Anyone and everyone (14 years and older).
- Those who have been thinking of getting into freediving but are unsure whether they are ready to commit to a full course.
- Spearos who want to learn about the ways freediving can improve their spearfishing performance.
The Introduction to Freediving Fun Day the perfect place for you to learn a little bit more about what freediving entails and to see if it’s the sport for you! Conducted in a safe and fun environment!
This is a short overview of the course schedule:
Sundays from 9:00am to 2:00pm
- We’ll start the day with a short theory session on the beach to introduce new freedivers to the sport and guide them on the things that they should be thinking about when starting off in freediving.
- We’ll offer practical demonstrations and discussions on the gear you may need to get started.
- Discover the science behind Freediving, the Mammalian Dive reflex, different equalisation techniques and the art of breathing and relaxation. Plus, much much more!
- We’ll do a body and lung stretching workshop to get you ready for the day’s freediving fun.
- There will be a Yoga Nidra workshop from a qualified facilitator designed to help you feel what is going on in your body and discover a deeper level of relaxation.
- We’ll head of into the water for some guided fun diving on the reef!
- While fun diving, you will get to try out some amazing new gear from some of the best brands in the business.
- Throughout the day you will get to learn first-hand from one of the top PADI Freediving Instructors in the state and get to ask them (m)any questions you may have about the sport of freediving.
- Afterwards, join us for a BBQ lunch where you will get to meet lots of local dive buddies and become part of the bigger freediving community!
What you need to know before the Fun Day:
- You need adequate swimming skills, specifically be able to swim with fins, and need to be in good physical health. No prior experience with snorkelling, skin diving or freediving is required.
- You will also need to complete a short medical questionnaire to determine if there are any specific health risks that may exclude you from participating in the course.
- A minimum age of 14 years old applies to this event.
What you will need to bring:
The following freediving equipment is required for the course:
- Wetsuit (5mm open cell or 7mm standard).
- Proper fitting, low profile/freediving mask and snorkel.
- Fins (Freediving fins recommended).
- Rubber weight belt with weights.
If you do not have the above equipment, we have some gear available for rental! Alternatively, come and see us in our new Adelaide megastore at 21 Grove Avenue, Marleston or check out our online store: Online Dive Gear for the best prices in Australia!
Limited hire gear is available, so please let us know well in advance if you would need to hire any or all of the above.
Why we do the Introduction to Freediving Fun Day:
- To create a fun, relaxing atmosphere for prospective freedivers to try their hand at freediving in a safe environment under the supervision of a freediving instructor.
- Promote better safety practices in the sport, grow the sport, and maintain its good reputation.
- Help you to connect with fellow freedivers in your area and make future dive buddies.
- Provide you with the opportunity to try some exciting new freediving gear.
Come and join a small group of likeminded individuals on an unforgettable day and make buddies for life!
Frequently Asked Questions
(click for answers)
You don’t have to be superfit to do the course, but at least an average fitness level is recommended. Almost anybody can learn to freedive, but the fitter you are, the easier it will be. Being comfortable in the water will go a long way too!
Any dive centre around the world will recognise your PADI certification card and will allow you to dive with them. PADI is the largest certification agency in the world with more than 6000 dive centres. Even if you dive with a non-PADI dive centre, they will still recognise your certification.
”Can I reschedule the course if I get sick (including COVID-19), cannot complete the online training in time, need to isolate or for any other reason? “
You can reschedule at any time before or during the course. For each rescheduled participant, we will charge a rescheduling fee of $99 to cover our overhead costs. As soon as a course spot is booked, we reserve lanes in the pool, block a spot on the course and book the instructor in for the course. Unfortunately we have to charge the rescheduling fee because of these costs and the fact that you are blocking a spot that in most cases will not be filled by someone else.
The main reason we do the in water training in Mt Gambier is that the weather won’t stop us from diving! Even if it rains and the wind blows, we can still dive the sinkholes and the conditions will still be great!
Yes, the minimum number of participants for us to run a course is two. About 95% of our courses run as planned, as apart from the occasional midweek course in the middle of Winter, it hardly ever happens that we don’t get two bookings on a course.
If we have to cancel a course because of lack of interest, you have the option to reschedule (free of charge of course) or get a full refund of your course fees.
Yes, we don’t provide rental gear on these courses. Our freediving and spearfishing suppliers may have a range of demo gear available for you to try and use during the course, but please make sure you bring your own suit, fins, mask, snorkel and weight belt.
Booking Terms & Conditions
(click to view)
No shows, cancellations and transfers
- If you cancel your course on or within 7 days of the start date of the course, no refund will be given.
- If you cancel your course 7+ days before the start date, a cancellation fee of $99 will apply and the PADI eLearning portion of the course will be non-refundable.
- If you fail to attend your course without notification, no refund will be given.
- You may reschedule your course before the course starts at any time and for any reason (including sickness, not completing eLearning in time, COVID-19 related issues such as isolation, etc). A $99 rescheduling fee will apply.
- If you answer ‘yes’ to any of the questions on the dive medical questionnaire, clearance to dive by a SPUMS dive doctor will have to be provided at the start of the course (stating you are fit to dive unconditionally). Failure to do so will result in a $99 rescheduling fee.
- You may transfer the course to someone else at no charge before the start of the course. The PADI eLearning portion ($180) of the course may need to be purchased again if the original participant has registered for PADI eLearning.
- All instructions are provided in English only. You are required to be proficient in English. Other students cannot translate on behalf of your instructor. No translation services can be used.
- If you fail to complete the course during the scheduled times, a $99 rescheduling fee will be payable to complete the course at a later date.
- Failure to adhere to all of the pre-course requirements found on the course overview page (including completion of any online training) will result in cancellation of the course. No refund will be given and rebooking will be at full cost.
- You need to be able to swim at least 200m continuously and tread water for a minimum of 10 minutes. This will be tested at the start of the pool session. Failure to perform these two tests within the allocated time frame will result in course cancellation without refund and rebooking will be at full cost.
- Courses must be completed within 180 days of the original start date.
- Under 18’s must have a parental waiver signed by parent/guardian on or before the start day of the course.
- All fees are per person.