If you’re ready to take your snorkelling to the next level or are looking at getting into freediving then this is the perfect place for you to start!
Learn to hold your breath longer and dive deeper, at your own pace, and in a safe, indoor environment. This training program will give you the knowledge and skills to start your Freediving journey feeling confident and safe.
After completing this course, you will earn yourself the internationally recognised PADI basic-Freediver certification, which is the first step towards becoming a certified PADI Freediver. It will teach you the correct techniques to progress faster and will also give you the opportunity to take part in any further training we offer.
This course is great for someone who loves the idea of Freediving but doesn’t know where to begin, may have some fear of holding their breath underwater or simply want to become a better snorkeler. It is also for parents that want their children (aged 12-15) to have a higher level of confidence in the water.
We tailor our training to suit what you would like to achieve in the future so come and join us and start your Freediving Adventure now!
Why choose Diving Adelaide to start your Freediving adventures?
This is a question we get asked a lot by people who want to take the plunge with us, so we decided to put a short list of the main reasons on our website. This is just the short list, if you would like the longer version, please don’t hesitate to shoot us an e-mail!
Freediving Experts: We’ve partnered with Primal Minds, the leading freediving and breath work trainer in SA, to bring you the most educational, fun and best value freediving courses in the country. Alex from Primal Minds is a dedicated freediving and spearfishing instructor with over 14 years of experience (not a scuba diving instructor who also runs freediving course).
Small Group Sizes (3-6 Students): Group sizes of just 3-6 students give you the best opportunity to learn, that’s why all our courses guarantee that you will receive as much personal attention as possible from Senior Instructor Alex Gibbons.
Individualised training: We can cover more information based on your future goals whether that be freediving, personal development, spearfishing, better mental health, mind development or bio hacking – just let us know your goals.
Genuine PADI Certification only: PADI is the worldwide leader in underwater training, so you know that you’re getting a certification that is recognised all over the world.
Fun and Passionate Dive Team: Our team is friendly, fun and always willing to help but most importantly they are well trained, professional and passionate about what they do.
Lowest Gear Prices: On most of the gear we sell we are either the cheapest in the world or the cheapest in Australia. It’s simple; we just cannot be beaten on price!
Standard Course Schedule
The PADI Basic-Freediver course is all about teaching you the core freediving principles and working on different breathhold techniques in a safe space.
This is a short overview of the course schedule:
Home study (10 – 12 hours): PADI Freediver eLearning
Monday 6:00pm to 10:00pm: Theory session @ The Diving Adelaide shop in Marleston.
Wednesday 6:00pm to 9:00pm: Pool session @ The Adelaide Aquatic Centre in North Adelaide.
What you need to know before you start the course:
- The home theory portion of the course will take about 10 hours to complete so make sure you allow yourself enough time to work through it all.
- You need adequate swimming skills, specifically be able to swim with fins, and need to be in good physical health. No prior experience with snorkelling, skin diving or freediving is required.
- You will also need to complete a short medical questionnaire to determine if there are any specific health risks that may exclude you from participating in the course.
- A minimum age of 12 years old applies to this course.
PADI Basic-Freediving Course Overview:
The PADI Basic-Freediver Course itself consists of three main phases:
- Knowledge development about freediving techniques through independent study with PADI Freediver eLearning.
- Interactive theory session with demonstrations designed to make learning fun. We cover Equipment, Physiology, Breathing and Relaxation, Pressure and Depth, Hyperventilation, Mammalian Dive Reflex, Equalisation Techniques, The Open Water Environment and Freediving Disciplines for Confined and Open Water.
- Confined Water Session to learn breath hold techniques, Static and Dynamic Apnea, safety, rescue and buddy systems, correct kick and glide techniques.
Start right now! Subscribe for e-Learning!
Where some dive schools still choose to teach the theory side of the learn to dive course in a traditional classroom setting, Diving Adelaide has chosen for the faster, cost-effective way of teaching the theory via online training. To us, the advantages of e-learning are clear:
E-learning provides a single experience that accomodates the three disctinct styles of auditory learners, visual learners and kinesthetic learners, allowing for more efficient training.
E-learning is self-paced. Advanced learners are allowed to speed through the theory, while others slow their own progress through content, eliminating frustration with themselves, their fellow learners and the course.
E-learning has on-demand availability, which allows the student to complete the training conveniently at off-hours or from home (as a student you can log on and off to do parts of the theory as many times as you want) and doesn’t require the student to travel to training location.
E-Learning reduces the learning time on average by 40 to 60 percent, which means the overall time that you will be spending on the theory will most likely be only half of the time you would have spent in a classroom setting.
What you will need to bring:
The following freediving equipment is required for the course:
- Wetsuit (5mm open cell or 7mm standard).
- Proper fitting, low profile/freediving mask and snorkel.
- Freediving fins.
- Rubber weight belt with weights (spare weights will be available).
If you do not have the above equipment, we have some gear available for rental! Alternatively, come and see us in our new Adelaide megastore at 21 Grove Avenue, Marleston or check out our online store: Online Dive Gear for the best prices in Australia!
Limited hire gear is available, so please let us know well in advance if you would need to hire any or all of the above.
Come and join a small group of likeminded individuals on an unforgettable trip and make buddies for life!
Frequently Asked Questions
(click for answers)
You don’t have to be superfit to do the course, but at least an average fitness level is recommended. Almost anybody can learn to freedive, but the fitter you are, the easier it will be. Being comfortable in the water will go a long way too!
Any dive centre around the world will recognise your PADI certification card and will allow you to dive with them. PADI is the largest certification agency in the world with more than 6000 dive centres. Even if you dive with a non-PADI dive centre, they will still recognise your certification.
”Can I reschedule the course if I get sick (including COVID-19), cannot complete the online training in time, need to isolate or for any other reason? “
You can reschedule at any time before or during the course. For each rescheduled participant, we will charge a rescheduling fee of $99 to cover our overhead costs. As soon as a course spot is booked, we reserve lanes in the pool, block a spot on the course and book the instructor in for the course. Unfortunately we have to charge the rescheduling fee because of these costs and the fact that you are blocking a spot that in most cases will not be filled by someone else.
The main reason we do the in water training in Mt Gambier is that the weather won’t stop us from diving! Even if it rains and the wind blows, we can still dive the sinkholes and the conditions will still be great!
Yes, the minimum number of participants for us to run a course is two. About 95% of our courses run as planned, as apart from the occasional midweek course in the middle of Winter, it hardly ever happens that we don’t get two bookings on a course.
If we have to cancel a course because of lack of interest, you have the option to reschedule (free of charge of course) or get a full refund of your course fees.
Yes, we don’t provide rental gear on these courses. Our freediving and spearfishing suppliers may have a range of demo gear available for you to try and use during the course, but please make sure you bring your own suit, fins, mask, snorkel and weight belt.
Booking Terms & Conditions
(click to view)
No shows, cancellations and transfers
- If you cancel your course on or within 7 days of the start date of the course, no refund will be given.
- If you cancel your course 7+ days before the start date, a cancellation fee of $99 will apply and the PADI eLearning portion of the course will be non-refundable.
- If you fail to attend your course without notification, no refund will be given.
- You may reschedule your course before the course starts at any time and for any reason (including sickness, not completing eLearning in time, COVID-19 related issues such as isolation, etc). A $99 rescheduling fee will apply.
- If you answer ‘yes’ to any of the questions on the dive medical questionnaire, clearance to dive by a SPUMS dive doctor will have to be provided at the start of the course (stating you are fit to dive unconditionally). Failure to do so will result in a $99 rescheduling fee.
- You may transfer the course to someone else at no charge before the start of the course. The PADI eLearning portion ($180) of the course may need to be purchased again if the original participant has registered for PADI eLearning.
- All instructions are provided in English only. You are required to be proficient in English. Other students cannot translate on behalf of your instructor. No translation services can be used.
- If you fail to complete the course during the scheduled times, a $99 rescheduling fee will be payable to complete the course at a later date.
- Failure to adhere to all of the pre-course requirements found on the course overview page (including completion of any online training) will result in cancellation of the course. No refund will be given and rebooking will be at full cost.
- You need to be able to swim at least 200m continuously and tread water for a minimum of 10 minutes. This will be tested at the start of the pool session. Failure to perform these two tests within the allocated time frame will result in course cancellation without refund and rebooking will be at full cost.
- Courses must be completed within 180 days of the original start date.
- Under 18’s must have a parental waiver signed by parent/guardian on or before the start day of the course.
- All fees are per person.